Not sure what to do with your leeks this winter, why not give this a try? This is such a yummy recipe I wanted to share it with you. It is slightly adapted from a Jamie Oliver recipe from his ‘Jamie Does’ book. His version takes longer to cook and he cooks it at the same time as a leg of lamb in a roasting tin but it is possible to cook it separately and more quickly.
1 can of butter beans in water
4 garlic cloves
300ml of good quality chicken stock (I like the Kallo Organic range)
Thyme fresh or dried (I like to use a mixed Italian seasoning).
- Sweat the leeks slowly in a frying pan until they are lovely and soft but not coloured. Place the sweated leeks into an ovenproof container like a lasagne dish.
- Empty the contents of the butter bean tin including the liquid into the dish with the leeks.
- Add 1 bay leaf, the 300ml of stock and some ground black pepper.
- Chop the base off the garlic cloves and remove the skins but keep them whole and place these in the dish as well.
- Place in preheated oven 200C or gas mark 6.
- It should take about 1 1/2 hours. You are aiming for a creamy texture with the liquid absorbed. You can aid the creaminess by slightly mashing the beans with a spoon towards the end of the cooking process.